Tuesday 18 November 2014

Review: Plum + Spilt Milk

Final Marks: 4 out of 5

In January I went for a meal at Plum + Spilt Milk, a new restaurant in the refurbished Kings Cross station. I went with work, which always makes me apprehensive as it means I am powerless to influence the choice of restaurant and sometimes it’s difficult to be asking questions about the menu in a large group.

We went for what I think must be their 45 minute gourmet express menu, as we had a limited choice of 3 dishes per course rather than the full menu. Again this gave me a little cause for concern, as often there’s very little choice for me even with a full menu.

However my fears were allayed by this lovely restaurant. We had an incredibly friendly and attentive waitress who made sure all our needs were catered for, and gave good advice for a choice of wine. She seemed genuinely concerned for our welfare, which does make a change. I was also pleasantly surprised to be informed that most of the options were already, or could be, gluten free. Result!

For my starter I had the creamed smoked haddock and poached hen’s egg which came straight from the oven, baked in a white sauce. It was absolutely delicious and I’m trying to devise a recipe of my own so I can eat it at home. For my main course I had pork chop with Bramley apple sauce, which is the only course I managed to get a picture of. It was a decent sized helping without being too heavy, and all cooked very well.




Now we get to pudding, my favourite course of the meal by and large. Here something strange has happened – I have completely forgotten what I had. The passage of time and perhaps the excellently chosen wine I had have clouded my memory such that it is now a blur. However, one thing I do know is that I was pleasantly surprised by being able to eat it and that it was excellent. Which means it probably involved chocolate.

Overall I’d highly recommend this restaurant. The setting is very pleasant and the service is excellent. The express meal is quite good value and this would be a great place to treat yourself before or after a long journey.

I've given this a 4 because they weren't as prepared for gluten free diners as some other places I have been to, and because the price point is slightly on the high side especially if you stick to the all day menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment