Friday 24 January 2014

Review: Pizza Express

Final Marks: 4 out of 5

Last night I went for a farewell meal for one of my friends who is moving across the country soon. We will see her regularly I'm sure, but we wanted to mark the occasion with... pizza! Seeing as I've already reviewed Zizzi this evening, I thought I'd go ahead and share my experiences at Pizza Express as well.

Until fairly recently, Pizza Express was firmly on my veto list, as the last time I had been there (about 3 years ago) the only thing I could eat was, you guessed it, a mushroom risotto. I think it was the all purpose vegetarian, lactose free, gluten free option and not only was it boring, it was only a starter size! Not good.

However, they have really turned things around and now have an extensive offering of gluten free items on their menu (their website also has lots of great information, as you can see). You are now spoiled for choice between almost all of their pizzas, a salad, a famously good aubergine dish, a few starters, a pudding and even some gluten free beer. Unfortunately that mushroom risotto is still on there, but let's gloss over that.

I ordered the Toscana pizza and I'd highly recommend it. Slightly herby sausage, good mozzarella, basil leaves, amazing.


toscana pizza express gluten free review
"Crumbled sausage with chilli & fennel, mozzarella and tomato finished with baby mozzarella, Gran Moravia cheese, fresh basil and extra virgin olive oil"
The base was thin and crispy, but not too tough, and fairly tasty. It's not the absolute best gluten free pizza base I've ever had, but it's top 5 for sure. I also adore the toppings, especially all that mozzarella. Sometimes I dream about mozzarella. TMI? Ok moving on...

I followed this with one of their Dolcetti, which is a mini pudding which comes with a hot drink of your choice. It's a pretty good choice because the puddings are plenty big enough, and it's good to do the hot drink thing all at the same time. I chose the chocolate brownie, because it was the only option, but I would have chosen it anyway to be honest! I had a peppermint tea with it, was was hot water with real mint leaves in it - delicious. They both were, actually. The brownie had some bits in it that looked suspiciously like chopped nuts, but didn't taste much like them, so I'm not sure what was going on there. One to check if you are nut-averse.



chocolate brownie pizza express gluten free review
"Soft and chocolatey, a classic brownie recipe using gluten-free flour, topped with fresh strawberry and icing sugar"

So it's maybe not the biggest gluten free menu in the world, but it has everything on it that I could want, and the actual finished product is good as well. The service was good, and we had a 40% off voucher as well - winner. There is usually some special offer or other going on at Pizza Express which makes it excellent value, so I'd always recommend checking online before you go. All in all I'd recommend it, and I suggest you give it a try if you haven't already.

Cheers everyone!



-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment